Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lauren

Sometimes I wish I had just 2 kids. This little girl is the hardest thing I've done in a LONG time. It's a battle to keep her latched on - she fusses and cries, kicks, pinches, pushes etc. I literally have to keep her body pushed against mine (for the 2 minutes she's willing to nurse). This stress isn't helping either of us and lately the issue has come to a head. I've said before that she doesn't nurse long on either side but until now she's still done fine with her weight gain. Not so any longer. I've been worried and dreading her 6 month check-up. I knew it would be bad news. It was. She is not gaining weight like she should. We are thinking that the quick nursing has tricked my body into thinking she's weaning herself and my supply has dropped substantially. So at her last appointment she'd only gained 1/2 lb. in 2 months and dropped to 4th percentile in weight. She's not even on the charts anymore. I have a month to try and get her weight up before the doctors will start testing to see if she's sick. So I have been trying to pump after each feeding - but there's nothing there to pump. And manual pumps need some priming (liquid coming through) in order to get good suction and really work. And I don't have that. It all seems like a vicious circle. I pump to get more milk, but I don't have milk so the pump won't work. Lauren needs more food but she won't eat. Aargh. Rick has been occasionally able (3 times total now) able to get her to take some formula but she won't for me and I'm the one who's home with her all day so I'm not sure what to do. I try and feed her as long as possible and switch sides when she starts her freaking out cry but after side #8 or so she is done and won't latch on. The doctor said the issue now is getting her weight up with calories so we are feeding her 3 times a day with as many solids as she will take. So frustrating! I just don't think we are going to have a turnaround within the month and I am nervous for our next visit in October. I know she's not sick but unless she nurses it seems like the only option is formula unless I miraculously start getting more milk in. Any ideas besides caramel popcorn (thanks Shelly!)?

2 comments:

amanda said...

Erika, Have you tried renting a powerful electric pump? Or do you want to try my medium-grade one? If all you are using is a manual one... you definitely need to upgrade, even just temporarily.

SJacobus said...

Warm wet towels can help with let down. Is she having any rashes or cholicky behavior? If so she may have some allergies and it would be good to test her. If your eating things she's allergic to it could be upsetting her stomach. Wade did this, but managed to eat enough that he gained weight though he was miserable and rashed up all the time. I didn't find out till years later what he was allergic to and learn that it was half the problem back when he was nursing.

I'm so sorry your going through this. I truly hope it gets better. I'll look through my old books and see if I find anything else. It's been so long I'm sure there's tons I've forgetten. Oh, are their any LaLeche Leagues in your area? I know it's not your first kid, but those ladies really are there to help and with great answers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails